Monday, April 2, 2012

V Dot Chris, budding Cameroonian artist and songwriter.




The Hansel Team caught up with V-Dot Chris, a Buea based musician whose music video, Foreva, made him credible amongst his peers. In this rapport, he speaks much about his works and little about himself. As they say, meekness makes the man. Here are excerpts from the interview.

The Hansel Team: Good day, Mr. Chris.

V-Dot Chris: Good day Team Hansel. Before we start, I want to sincerely appreciate the effort this team is doing with regards to the promotion of artists. I also want to congratulate Ngwane Hansel on his success over his comedy endeavors.

The Hansel Team: Thanks for that keen observation. We appreciate it. So tell us, who really is V-Dot Chris?

V-Dot Chris: My real name is Atem Chris. I was born in Mbalangi, South West Region of Cameroon, where I did my primary school education. I then moved to Buea to continue with my higher education. I am currently a holder of an HND (Higher National Diploma) in Computerized Accounting.

The Hansel Team: How did an accountant find his way into the vast world of music?

V-Dot: Well, all I can say is my passion for music is inborn. It’s in my blood. Y mother was the choir head of our local church, and I admired her passion and talent in singing. In 2001, I was so inspired by the western musicians so together with a friend, I formed a group called “Ver Chris”. However, the group later split due to varied interests, so I was alone in Buea and I had to do everything by myself. There I met with friends from ZEE-LINE Records, a recording studio in Buea, and things moved on from there.

T.H.T: Your first music video, FOREVA, hit the airwaves last summer. How did you react to the public’s reception of it?

V-Dot: Well, the video was not an easy task considering the fact that it was my first song. However, I was not fully satisfied with the promotion of I, due to the fact that most people only heard the song but hardly possessed their own personal copies. Nonetheless, one has learned a lot and those areas have already been rectified.

T.H.T: Fair enough, but what can you say about the future of music in Buea?  

V-Dot: Artists in Buea are very talented, but some lack the material. We need to collaborate in order for us to grow. There is no unity amongst us, so we keep fighting. If this continues, then there will be no hope for music in Buea and in Anglophone Cameroon in general.

T.H.T: You talk as if there are some obstacles in this line of work.

V-Dot: Oh yes. There are many obstacles with doing music in this area. The first is that of neglect. People will find it hard to appreciate what you have done, and would only love to hate you. The second obstacle is that of envy. The most surprising thing is that this envy does not come from the public, but from other artist. Finally, it is so difficult to convince the public that what you are doing is worth living for.

T.H.T: It seems there are some dark times in this business, so what motivates you when things get tough?

V-Dot: I believe in God Almighty, and in myself. All you need to do is trust God and keep working hard, and you will see the difference yourself. Plus, I have a dedicated team and my manager keeps me level-headed. 

T.H.T: The Hansel Team believes in you too and we hope you are still doing some work.

 V-Dot: Actually, I am working on my new album and some single music videos. I am also looking forward to collaborate with a few artists in and out of the country. I hope it will be a successful venture.

T.H.T: We hope so too and we wish you the very best in all that you do. Keep it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment